What are some signs that my child isn’t ready?
Some signs that your child may not be ready for school yet include:
- Not being toilet trained (daytime)
- Struggling to follow directions with day to day tasks (pick your toys up from the floor, come and sit at the table for dinner, etc.)
- Not being interested in sitting and listening to a story or looking at books
- Getting easily frustrated when they are under minimal pressure (i.e. following basic directions, not being able to complete a task)
- Not interacting well with children of their own age
- Social immaturity (not wanting to share, take turns, adjust to a shift in rules of a game or activity)
- Poor language skills (not being able to understand others, or be understood by people other than parents and immediate family members)
What can I do to improve my child’s school readiness?
Your child isn’t quite ready to start school – what now? There are several things you can do to improve school readiness. These include:
- Arrange regular play dates with a variety of different children of a similar age to your child – this will allow your child to develop their social skills.
- Play board games – think about all the sharing, turn taking, waiting and coping with winning or losing that your child will have to adjust to
- Read to your child – choose a variety of different books (fiction, non-fiction, a variety of topics)
- Sing songs with your child
- Give your child the opportunity to do more for themselves – let them pick out their clothes for the day and dress themselves, prepare their own bath (with supervision), set the table for dinner
- Talk to your child – children learn by example. The more that you talk to them, about varying topics and concepts, the more they will learn.
Talk about feelings with your child – this can be a simple as ‘you’re laughing because you are happy’ or ‘the lady on tv is crying because she is sad’. Use every opportunity to discuss emotions.
If you are concerned about your child being ready for school, or just have more questions, you can CONTACT US to arrange an appointment with one of our experienced paediatricians.